I love my current workout because it’s a decent amount but it doesn’t kill me to do (so I’ll actually do it) AND it’s reeeeallllyy effective. I have a list I go through that I repeat a total of 4 times, including short breaks. This workout strengthens and tones your core.
I follow my list on my iPhone’s Notes app, and it looks like this:
What the Heck Does That Mean?
- The “bent knee raised head crunch” is where I balance on my tailbone at an obtuse angle and do full body crunches.
- The “raised head one bent one straight leg raises” is where I balance on my tailbone and bend my knees. Then I make one leg straight and do a crunch while the other one is bent. Switch legs.
- “Hip raises” are where you look like you’re doing the ‘crab walk’ from elementary school gym class, but on your forearms. You just raise your hips and put them back on the ground until you reach the number on your list.
- “V sit-ups” are sit-ups (crunches) with your arms and legs straight, so you look like a V when you crunch.
If you have any questions or want me to go into detail about any other of the exercises listed- comment below and I’ll do it asap!
You are your only limit.
Me with animals Especially my pets
I have 3 dogs and 5 cats. It’s hard to play with all of them and make sure each one of them always feels loved and like they’ve received enough attention- especially because I don’t live with my parents anymore and I barely see my furry babies.
One day at the animal shelter I volunteer for, they were passing out homemade felt dog and cat toys. I picked up one for each species and tried it out.
My kitten loved it!
So I decided to make my own.
All you need is:
- Fabric or felt (anything you can cut into strips)
- An elastic / hair tie
I used an old sock, normal sissors, and an elastic I found.
- Cut the fabric or felt into strips
- Take one strip at a time and tie it around the elastic
- Repeat until the elastic has fabric all around it
- Play with your cute pet!
This trick is an absolute God send for anybody that loathes doing dishes- especially pans! It’s also a way healthier option. My dad is a flippin’ genius for thinking of this and I’m so glad he shared this with me.
My dad’s secret to perfect scrambled eggs is…
All you have to do is use olive oil instead of butter or cooking spray to grease the pan!
It’s healthier and extremely amazing when it comes to cleaning up afterwards. If you use olive oil, there will be none of that gross, burned, stuck-to-the-side-of-the-pan egg to scrape off. Just fluffy, healthy eggs!
It makes making eggs not such a hassle, and my dad asks me to make him my special scrambled eggs every day that I’m in town!
- Any kind of milk
- One slice of any cheese you like
- However many eggs you want to eat
- Olive Oil
(I use free range eggs, McCormick Sea Salt Grinder, McCormick Black Peppercorn Grinder, Kraft White American Cheese Squares, organic grocery store brand salsa, organic grocery store brand almond milk, and extra virgin olive oil.)
- Grease the pan with olive oil
- Crack the eggs right into the pan
- Put in a splash of milk
- Mix them with the spatula
- Add salt and pepper (to taste)
- Make sure you’re constantly moving the eggs around the pan with the spatula so they don’t burn on one side
- Rip the cheese apart and put the pieces in different sections of the eggs
- When you think they’re done, put them on a plate and top them with salsa!
The result is a clean pan and fluffy eggs.
First off , I’m not going to go on some monotonous rant about positivity that you’ve read/heard 8,000,000 times. I know how difficult it is to stay positive when you feel completely, utterly, indescribably horrible. I personally struggle with depression and a roller-coaster of a life so trust me- I understand, and these are some things I do to keep myself semi-sane.
- I’m the kind of person that needs support. It doesn’t matter if it’s from one person or 80- I need somebody that I feel like I can talk to about whatever is going on. I usually lean on my super awesome and very supportive boyfriend of 3 years. He listens to me and will offer advice if I ask for it. If you are looking for somebody to talk to; parents, siblings, grandparents, significant other, teacher, adviser, friend… Anyone you deem worthy. I just suggest not keeping everything bottled up and then exploding.
- I pour myself into my work. Whether it be homework, blogging, planning my day, cooking, running errands- whatever. I pour my mind and body into what I’m doing. It helps me stay distracted while providing me with my need to feel productive.
- Depending on how bad I feel, sometimes I need to do something completely unproductive to clear my mind. Today for instance, I received very bad news. So, I played the heck out of Star Wars Battlefront and watched a ton of 90210 episodes. I focused on Naomi’s event planning and blowing up imperials with homing missiles instead of the news I received.
- I actually acknowledge my feelings. It’s okay to cry, and if that’s how you express your sadness- cry. Know that you’re sad and why and just accept that you’re a human being that has emotions.
- I try to maintain my yoga/fitness schedule. When you’re stressed out and sad is when you need it the most. Focus on your breathing instead of your problems, and don’t let your body go to $#!& because you’re sad.
- I take time away from everybody else. It’s hard for me to be around people when I’m hurting, so I stay away. I’ll go play a game or write; that’s what I’m doing right now. If you can stand it, take one of those pamper yourself baths. (With Jaedyn’s Natural Cosmetics- as soon as it launches!)
- I try to find someone that is going through the same thing, or better yet, someone who did and got through it. I’ve been wanting to talk to these two guys I know that are going/went through some of what I’m going through now. I feel like they can offer advice that will help me to stop free falling with my emotions.
- I avoid things that will trigger negative emotions. I try to steer clear of anything that will make me feel worse.
- I maintain my healthy diet because it sucks to feel mentally ran over and physically ran over.
- I do things that I know will make me happy. I’ll buy myself something small, or go eat some ice-cream loaded with hot fudge.
What do you do when times are tough?
My little brother has great… I guess… “guy beauty supplies”? I personally love how guy products smell and would rather use them over “girly smelling” products any day- I guess it’s preference. In this post I’ll be sharing with you a few things that my brother has that are definitely worth buying. (This is not a sponsored post)
- Dove Men+Care Extra Fresh Body and Face Wash I use this product as a normal body wash and it smells so good! For about $5 for a big bottle at any drug store, it also comes in many different scents and sizes. Dove Men+Care even has special sensitive skin lines.
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair and Body Moisturizer for $5 on Amazon. I use this product as a leave in conditioner after I shower, and it totally soothes my dry hair.
- Old Spice Swagger Red Zone Deodorant This one may be a stretch for some ladies, but let me tell you: This keeps you smelling good all day no matter how long you stay out. And honestly, it doesn’t even smell “boyish”. It smells like pine trees. Get this for about $3 at any store that sells men’s hygiene supplies.
- Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Antiperspirant Deodorant This deodorant slides smoothly on your skin and doesn’t leave the ugly white lines and clumps that female deodorant (sometimes) leaves. It smells really good, but also pretty manly for all of the girly-girls reading.
- Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Radiant Lotion For around $4 for a medium sized bottle, this lotion makes ugly skin pretty. I have eczema, and this lotion soothes it instead of irritating it like most lotions.
Alright, those are my suggestions! If you have any brother-borrows, leave them in the comments!
- Switch soda, coffee, or anything else for water When I crave coffee or soda, I pour a tall glass of water and drink every last drop. It quenches my thirst while hydrating me and not staining my teeth.
- Add lemon to your water Lemon is great for washing toxins out of your body, and so is water. Put them together, and you have a super drink! I use lemon juice, but you could always slice a lemon and put that in your water as well.
- Put less sugar in your coffee or tea It’s quite simple. When you go to Dunkin’ don’t ask for seven sugars or “extra sugar” like I do, but instead, take it how it usually comes or with 2.
- Use almond milk instead of cream I did this the other day on a whim. Instead of putting cream in my coffee, I used organic almond milk from HEB. Almond milk contains heart-healthy fats and fewer calories than cream. Plus, it doesn’t taste different!
- Eat fruit for breakfast When I go to the dining hall for breakfast, they usually have grapes, melons, apples, bananas, and oranges. (Some days they even have strawberries!) I take a bowl and fill it with fruit, and that’s my breakfast! Sometimes I’ll also get some yogurt, and I always get water.
- Eat frozen yogurt instead of ice-cream Once again, lower in calories etc etc. Also tastes good.
- When you want to binge snack- make yourself eat healthy My little sister binge snacks on blueberries. I want to complain, but I’m glad it’s not on gross, fake food instead like my other little sister. When I watch Netflix, I’ll make myself a bowl of cut up strawberries, an apple, and a banana. This bowl fills me up, so for me it’s a great, healthy lunch.
- Get light buttered or sea salt popcorn To me, these kinds of popcorn actually taste better than normal popcorn. Way better, to be exact. This is the kind my dad buys.
- Drink a smoothie or a shake throughout the day to kill snack cravings How to subdue your snacking tendencies and be nutritious? Buy or make your own smoothie or shake! My roommate and I buy Shakeology from my mom and we drink it every day. We’re both happier and healthier! This is where we buy it. (This is not sponsored)
- Instead of playing on your phone when you’re bored, exercise Why scroll through the same old Facebook memes when you could be bettering your body and mind? Next time you want to waste time on your phone, try some new yoga poses or do a quick workout instead.
Those are my tips! Have a happy and healthy new year.
Why “goals”? Because “resolutions” don’t work. They have a silent stigma around them that makes you think you only have to do them for a short amount of time. If you have a goal, that suggests that you must complete it.
For example: “My New Years resolution is to go to the gym.” People who say this 9/10 only go for 2 months at the most.
“My 2016 Goal is to go to the gym at least 10 times a month.” This is much more feasible and gives you a number to focus on. You could easily put that in a to-do app or on your calendar.
Now for my list:
- Get straight A’s This one is kind of basic, but I got a B in Biology for Majors last semester and I’m making sure that won’t happen this semester!
- Get my driver’s license I know, I know. I’m super late to the driving party.
- Get a job and put all of the money I make into my college fund This goes along with my next one which is…
- Save at least $6,000 for tuition
- Read 30 books I always have a book goal for the year. The last 2 years have been 50 and 40.
- Go to at least one concert I love concerts and music festivals! They’re such a good way to show support to your favorite musicians and make memories.
- Apply to my dream college I’m not going to say where due to personal security, but it’s pretty amazing!
- Get 25,000+ views on Jaedyn
- Do some form of exercise a day Yoga, swimming, the elliptical in the gym, etc.
- Get my belly button pierced and my second earring holes repierced
- Take a spring break trip
- Take a summer trip
Happy New Years! Comment your goals for 2016!
2016 is approaching, and that calls for a new planner! Planners are especially great for highschoolers and college-goers. If I didn’t have a planner I would be screwed- I have such a busy lifestyle that it’s hard to keep everything in the back of my mind.
Take the weight off of your shoulder in 2016 with a cute, inexpensive planner.
Here are 3 super-cute I found on the web:
- 2016 Time Flies 17 Month Spiral Weekly Planner via Papyrus for $15
- That’s the Plan 2016 Planner via ModCloth for $9
- 2016 Do It All Blossoms 17 Monthly/Weekly Planner via Barnes & Noble’s for $7.50 (in stores only)
- Day Dream 2016 Disney Winnie The Pooh 2 Year Pocket Planner there are several styles of this planner: Betty Boop, Frozen, Marilyn Monroe, and Minnie Mouse. They’re all under $5 originally, and some are on sale for up to $2 less!
Most people know that after Christmas everything goes on sale. It’s one of the best times of the year to shop! If you decide to, these stores should be on your list.
- Macy’s Almost everything is 75% off. My stepmom just scored some awesome headphones for my brother for only $6.25!
- Soma Everything is up to 70% off.
- Aeropostalé Their winter sale is still going on which means $11 sweatshirts/pullovers, $5 T-Shirts, etc.
- Sephora has a 50% off sale on their best beauty products such as Urban Decay, Donna Karan, Clairsonic, and Benefit.
- Forever 21 has 75% off of so many cute items! I almost got a super cute cut out crop top online (FOR $5!), but it was sold out.
- Bath & Body Works is having their semiannual sale, which means everything is about 70% off.
That’s all that I’ve seen for good sales. If you have any suggestions, comment the store and why so I can add them!
There is some MAJOR bah humbug in the air this Christmas season.
Luckily, I have a few tips to save your holiday cheer!
- Go to a Christmas Eve service. Be reminded what Christmas is all about! I’m going to a candlelight service, and I can’t wait to see how beautifully the church is decorated and hear the pastor’s message.
- Watch those old movies you had on tapes when you were younger. For me, it’s Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman. I don’t have a VCR anymore, but these holiday classics are on DVDs at grocery stores, dollar stores, and just about anywhere else you can buy something this holiday season. Look around- they my just be hiding in your DVD cabinet. If not, watch The Hallmark Channel to see some cheesy Christmas movies!
- If your family doesn’t like old family movies, watch Christmas specials for TV shows. I know I’ll be watching the Christmas episodes of South Park, Family Guy, and The Simpsons if spend time with my family in front of the TV tonight. Christmas movies just aren’t some people’s things and that’s okay!
- Drink hot chocolate. I like to drink hot chocolate while I’m watching TV, so this would be a great one to pair with tip #2 or #3. If you want to DIY your hot chocolate, click here. If you want to embellish your hot chocolate, try adding caramel sauce, whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, and/or peppermint! I also make mine with milk so it’ll be creamier.
- Even though it’s super hot everywhere, put on a winter or Christmas themed sweater. Even if it means turning on the AC. Where I live, I can walk outside with shorts and a tank top on right now. But, cuddled up on the couch with your AC on 70 will do the trick! If you don’t like the idea of wearing a sweater, at least weird Christmas pajamas.
- Tell stories about past Christmases. The magic of Santa was overflowing in me when I was younger. I would always sleep with both of my sisters and we would wake each other up every once in a while to see if Santa had come yet. I remember one Christmas I was so amazed at the set up because my plug-in turning disco ball was lighting up the room.
- Sing with your family. My mother recently bought a piano and declared that we (my sisters, mother, grandfather, and I) will all be singing Christmas carols while I play. It’s goofy, and maybe even a bit awkward, but this time of the year is about family.
- Christmas Trees. I know that’s broad, but it’s a broad thing to work with. Take artsy pictures of your lights. Put extra ornaments on the tree. Find your baby ornament(s). Put all of your presents under the tree. Shake boxes to see what you might have gotten from your Great Aunt Mae. Run around it and sing Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree. Etc. Sometimes I like to lay underneath the tree and stare up at it.
- Give some of your presents early! I opened my presents from my Cousin Shannon early- and something about the Christmas wrapping paper, thoughtful gifts, and the happiness on my family’s face really sparked the Christmas joy inside of me.
- Make a gratitude list! Some people don’t get a lot for Christmas or have no family to spend it with. Remember- people are homeless on holidays too! If you’re religious, you could even pray to God, thanking him for your many blessings. I like to pray/ give gratitude while doing yoga.
- Head into town and give Christmas presents to the homeless. Socks, a scarf, a Bible, tasty food… all good ideas. Think about what you may take for granted and give them one of those. You could even wrap it up nicely- they don’t get those, and that sucks. Here are some cute wrapping ideas!
These are just a few tips and if you have some different ones, leave them in the comment section! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!